When trying to access a secure email and/or file without Virtru installed, you may encounter one of several error messages that indicate the email address is not authorized. The exact error message you encounter will depend on your user flow. However, the troubleshooting steps are identical for all of these error messages.
This article walks you through how to troubleshoot these errors and provides examples of these various errors. Before diving in, there are two quick items to note:
- Customers use Virtru to encrypt, protect, and restrict access to files. If the original sender has not granted you access to the email or file, then this error message is expected behavior.
- Virtru does not control the actual email or file itself and cannot grant you access. Only the person who sent the email or file controls who can access it.
1. Confirm you are using the correct email address
When going through the process of verifying your identity, Virtru requires you use the exact email address to which the secure message or file was sent. If the email was sent to an alias, group address, or distribution list address, you will need to select or enter that exact email address rather than your personal address.
2. Ask the sender to give you access/re-send the file
If step #1 doesn't work, then you will need to contact the sender and request they give you access or send the secure content to you directly. If they already sent it to you directly, ask them to resend or grant you access - your access may have expired or been revoked.
3. Advanced troubleshooting options
If you have confirmed with the sender that you are authorized to access the content, then we recommend moving on to more advanced troubleshooting:
- Verify you are using a supported browser. If you are not using a supported browser, please switch to a supported browser.
- Contact your internal IT team to ensure that all of the Virtru Required Endpoint URLs are whitelisted in your firewall. At this point, network firewalls are likely blocking one or more connections to a required Virtru endpoint.
4. Contact Support
If you are still experiencing problems after trying steps #1-3, we recommend you contact support for further troubleshooting. Please be sure to highlight the troubleshooting steps you have already taken so we can help resolve the issue as quickly as possible.