If you’re reading this you’ve likely received a Virtru-secured email, but you have not installed a Virtru plugin, add-in, or app. No worries! We’ll show you just how easy it is to read and reply to your message, as well as how to add secure attachments.
Here are the steps to access and read your message:
1. Open the email in your inbox and click Unlock Message. A new tab will open.
2. When prompted, select your email address.
If you don't see yours listed, click Use another email address and enter your information.
An important note about email aliases
Please be sure to verify using the exact email address to which the secure message was sent. If the email was sent to an alias, group address, or distribution list address, you will need to select or enter that exact email address rather than your personal primary address
3. Choose how you'd like to verify your identity. Google & Office 365 users can use their preexisting credentials to log in directly using Sign In with Google or Sign In with Microsoft. You'll be taken directly to your message.
- Select Or sign-in with a one-time verification link if you use a different provider to verify your identity via email
4. Check your inbox for your verification email, coming from email@example.com (with each "x" being a digit).
5. Open the verification email and click "Verify Me" to open your message (it will come from firstname.lastname@example.org
Both the "Unlock Message" and "View Message" links need to be opened in the same browser on the same device in order to confirm your identity.
Please note, Virtru also offers a “cookie-less” verification pathway. If we detect that cookies and local storage have been disabled in the browser, we send a verification code via email. This code, once received, simply needs to be pasted into the proper field in the you browser in order to grant access. If you are having trouble entering all 8 digits, please check to make sure there is not a space in front of the code in the entry box.
- Your message will open in a new tab in the browser.
6. To send a secure reply, click into the text field at the bottom of the message or click Secure Reply.
- At the top left of the Reply box, you can select whether to reply to the sender only or all of the recipients on the email by selecting the Reply option. After you finish composing your message, click Send Secure Reply.
- Attachments can be added by clicking Add Attachment. These will be sent securely as well.
Every now and then, some recipients may find that they are unable to open a secure email, and instead receive the following error:
This error may occur for a number of reasons:
- A secure email was forwarded by one of the recipients to an unauthorized recipient
- The email was sent to an alias or group address. Virtru recommends sending email to individuals so that each of those individuals can be granted or revoked from access to the content of the email.
- Some alternative tips are outlined in the notes about aliases and distribution lists if you scroll up the length of this article and review the red and orange blocked notes
- The recipient has firewall settings that have not whitelisted the required Virtru endpoints. Need help with whitelisting Virtru endpoints? See our article here for assistance.