If you’re reading this, you’ve likely received a Virtru-secured email. This means the sender has elected to use Virtru to encrypt the contents of the email. In this article, we’ll show you how to quickly access your secure message in Virtru's Secure Reader.
If you have installed a Virtru plugin, add-in, or app, the secure email will automatically decrypt.
If you are looking to reply to your secure message, please see our guide here.
More detailed step-by-step instructions can be found below.
How to access and read your message
1. Open the secure email in your inbox and click Unlock Message. A new tab will open.
2. When prompted, select your email address.
If you don't see yours listed, click Use another email address and enter your email address.
An important note about email aliases
Please be sure to verify using the exact email address to which the secure message was sent. If the email was sent to an alias, group address, or distribution list address, you will need to select or enter that exact email address rather than your personal address.
3. Choose how you'd like to verify your identity. Virtru accepts several modes of verification:
- Google & Office 365 users can use their pre-existing credentials to log into the Secure Reader using Sign In with Google or Sign In with Microsoft. If you choose this route you can skip step #5 below.
- Alternatively, users may choose Or sign-in with a one-time verification.
4. If you selected Or sign-in with a one-time verification link, check your inbox for your verification email. It will come from email@example.com (with each "x" being a digit). Open the verification email and click View Message to open your message.
Both the Unlock Message and View Message links need to be opened in the same browser on the same device in order to confirm your identity.
Please also note, Virtru offers a “cookie-less” verification pathway if we detect that tracking or cookies and local storage have been disabled in the browser. In these cases, we send a verification code via email. This code, once received, simply needs to be pasted into the proper field in your browser in order to grant access.
If you do not receive the verification email, click here to troubleshoot.
5. Your message will open the Virtru Secure Reader in a new tab in the browser. You will also be able to view and access attachments at this time.
Occasionally, some recipients may receive an error message when trying to open a secure email or attachment. These errors may occur for a number of reasons. If you are having problems accessing your secure email and/or files, we recommend reviewing the Troubleshooting for Recipients section of our Help Center.
Some secure messages that you receive are part of a secure email thread with multiple, separate entries. If you are reading a message that is part of a secure thread, you will the ability to decrypt and open the other messages in the chain. To view other messages, you can simply select the Decrypt Previous Message button found above the message you have opened.
- Reply to a Virtru Encrypted Email without Virtru Installed
- Troubleshooting for Recipients
- FAQs for Recipients
- About Virtru