If you’re reading this you’ve likely received a Google file protected by Virtru for Google Drive. This means the sender has elected to use Virtru to encrypt and protect the file. In this article, we’ll show you how to quickly access and download the Drive file in Virtru's Secure Reader. If you have ever accessed a Virtru-secured email, the process is very similar.
Access and View your File
1. Open the email, then click on the file name or View protected file
2. When prompted, select your email address.
If you don't see yours listed, click Use another email address and enter your email address.
An important note about email aliasesPlease be sure to verify using the exact email address to which the secure message was sent. If the email was sent to an alias, group address, or distribution list address, you will need to select or enter that exact email address rather than your personal primary address.
3. Choose how you'd like to verify your identity. Virtru accepts several modes of verification:
- Google and Office 365 users can use their pre-existing credentials to log into the Secure Reader using Sign In with Google or Sign in with Office 365, respectively.
- Alternatively, users may choose Or sign-in with a one-time verification.
4-A. If you selected Sign In with Google, Click Authorize > Choose the correct account > then click ALLOW to complete the authorization process.
See step 4-B if you selected a different verification method.
4-B. If you did not select Sign in with Google, check your inbox for your verification email. It will come from firstname.lastname@example.org (with each "x" being a digit). Open the verification email and click Verify Me to open your message.
If you selected Sign In with Google, move to step 5.
Note:Both the Unlock Message and View Message links need to be opened in the same browser on the same device in order to confirm your identity. Please note, Virtru also offers a “cookie-less” verification pathway. If we detect that cookies and local storage have been disabled in the browser, we send a verification code via email. This code, once received, simply needs to be pasted into the proper field in the you browser in order to grant access. If you are having trouble entering all 8 digits, please check to make sure there is not a space in front of the code in the entry box. If you do not receive the verification email, click here to troubleshoot.
5. The file shared with you will begin decrypting. When this is complete, you will press authorize to see the title of the file, and you can click to View or Download the file.
How to View and Download your File
In the Secure Reader, you can preview your file. You can also download the file by clicking the Download in the upper right corner.
You will not be able to print directly from the Secure reader. You must download the file in order to print it.
Items to Note
- Virtru Required Endpoints must be allowed
- Virtru for Drive extension only supports Google Chrome
- Virtru for Drive supports all static file types (pdf, docx, jpeg, etc.)
- Virtru for Drive currently does not support collaborative formats, such as Google Docs, Sheets, Slides (Coming Soon!)