In addition to encrypting messages and attachments, Virtru users have the ability to apply additional security settings to protected content. Among these settings is the option to apply Watermarking to an encrypted file.
Typically, if a Virtru recipient receives an encrypted file, they can preview the file in the Secure Reader and download a decrypted copy locally. When Watermarking is applied to a secure file, recipients will only have access to the secure file inside of the Secure Reader and will see their email address watermarked across the document.
The addition of the watermark is visible but transparent enough to not obscure the contents of the file when viewed. A recipient will not be able to download a local decrypted copy of the file. It supports the following common file types:
- Microsoft Office documents: .docx, .pptx, .xlsx
- Common image file formats: .jpeg, .png
- PDF documents
Note that although newer Microsoft office file types are supported, older versions (.doc, .ppt, .xls) are not compatible. Additionally, these other common file types are NOT supported: .msg, .zip, .md.
Manage Watermarking in Virtru Email Clients
Watermarking can be set for attachments before an email is sent
1. Open a new draft and toggle Virtru ON.
2. If you are using Virtru for Gmail, open the Security Options menu. Security options for the Outlook Desktop Extension are visible in the Message tab while composing a message. Security options for the Outlook 365 Add-in are visible once the Virtru add-in is opened and toggled ON. The Security options for the iOS and Android app are visible at the top of compose window.
3. Select Watermarking from the menu.
4. Compose the rest of your message and Send.
When enabled for an email, all compatible file types will be watermarked.
Watermarking can also be managed after an email is sent
1. With Virtru enabled, open the sent secure message. In Gmail and Outlook 365, expand the Security Options menu. In the Outlook Desktop Extension, these settings are visible in the Home tab of the Inbox view or the Message tab of the popped-out message view. In the iOS and Android app, select the Security Settings option.
2. Select or deselect the Watermarking option.
Manage Watermarking for a Secure Drive File
In addition to watermarking a secure attachment, Virtru for Drive users can watermark secure files in Drive.
Apply Watermarking during a drag-and-drop upload
1. Drag-and-drop a file into Drive so you see the option to Upload Or Encrypt & upload.
2. Click More Security Options and select Watermarking.
3. Apply other security options, if desired, and select Encrypt & upload.
Apply Watermarking to a secure file already in Drive
1. In Drive, select a secure file and open the detail pane.
2. Scroll down the detail pane and select Watermarking. Changes will apply automatically.
Manage Watermarking in the Control Center
1. Log into the Virtru Control Center
2A. To manage an entire email and all its applicable attachments, navigate to the Email page of the Control Center and click on the email in question.
2B. To manage a secure Drive file or individual secure attachment, navigate to the Files page of the Control Center and click on the file in question.
3. In the menu on the right, expand the Security Settings section and select or deselect Watermarking. Changes will apply automatically.
When a recipient receives a watermarked document, even if they are a plugin user, they will need to view the file in the Virtru Secure Reader:
While viewing, the recipient's email address will be overlaid in a repeating pattern over the opened file and the recipient will not have the option to download the file.