If Virtru suddenly appears to be missing in your Outlook application, don't worry. The add-in may have been disabled or deactivated, and can be back up in no time if you follow these steps:
- 'Open File' > 'Options' > 'Add-ins'
- Look for Virtru in the list of add-ins.
- If Virtru is listed under 'Inactive Application Add-ins:'
- At the bottom of the window, select 'Manage: COM Add-ins' and click 'Go'...
- Check the box next to 'Virtru For Outlook' and click 'OK'
- Restart Outlook
- If Virtru is listed under 'Disabled Application Add-ins:'
- At the bottom of the window, select 'Manage: Disabled Items' and click 'Go'...
- Select Virtru from the list of disabled add-ins and click 'Enable'
- Restart Outlook
Alternatively, you can make these changes in the File Menu:
- Click on 'File' > 'Info' > and select 'Manage COM Add-ins' in the 'Slow and Disabled COM Add-ins' section
- Enable Virtru for Outlook.
If Virtru keeps going inactive after re-enabling, you'll need to reset the resiliency settings:
- Uninstall Virtru from 'Control Panel' > 'Programs' > 'Programs and Features.'
- Delete Outlook's resiliency settings:
- Open your Registry Editor from the Windows 'Run' menu by typing 'regedit' and hitting Enter.
- Navigate to 'HKEY_CURRENT_USER' > 'Software' > 'Microsoft' > 'Office' > [version number]* > 'Outlook' > 'Resiliency' > 'DisabledItems.'
- Delete the 'REG_BINARY' file; the filename will be a string of numbers and letters. Leave the '(Default)' file intact..
- Reinstall Virtru
*Note that under 'Office', the numbers 16.0, 15.0, 14.0, and 13.0 refer to the version of Outlook; 16.0 for 2016, 15.0 for 2013, 14.0 for 2010, etc, so make sure to use the one that corresponds to the version of Outlook on that computer.