During the Virtru for Outlook activation process, Virtru may send some users a unique activation email that the Virtru add-in looks for in the inbox. This will apply to:
- Any user on a Virtru for Outlook version below 3.10.0
- Users on 3.10.0 and above who either cannot log in with a recognized provider (Google, Microsoft) or manually choose the activation email pathway
Typically, the add-in will locate the email, complete activation, and automatically delete the activation email. If the add-in can't find this email, the activation process will stall while it continues its search. During this event, the activation modal will display a "Still activating account with Virtru..." message:
Steps to Troubleshoot
1. Look for the activation email
The activation email will be delivered by email@example.com. If you are seeing more than one activation email for the same email address, delete all copies but the newest version. If you are unable to locate the activation email:
- Check your entire mailbox, including Spam and any sub-folders you have.
- Try logging into the Webmail for that account to see if it's hung up there
- If you are using a business email address, then the email may be stuck in an external quarantine. Please contact your internal IT administrators to check any mail filter.
If the message is found in a company mail filter/quarantine, we suggest requesting that your IT admins whitelist emails from the virtru.com domain to ensure proper and timely delivery in the future.
If you still cannot locate the activation email, please reach out to Virtru support to see if the email bounced or was blocked.
2. Move the activation email to your main Inbox folder
By default, Virtru will only search your main Inbox folder for the activation email and not any nested subfolders. If this email lands in a folder other than your Inbox, you will need to complete one of the following:
- While the add-in is still searching, drag the email into your main Inbox folder
- When you see the "Still activating account with Virtru..." modal , check Search all accounts for activation emails and Search subfolders of Inbox and Junk for activation emails to expand the search radius and select Try Again
- Alternatively, to begin the activation process with an expanded search radius, click on the Virtru tab in the main Outlook Menu bar and select Options > Account Activation.
Select the appropriate email addresses and, at the bottom of that window, check the boxes for both Search all accounts for activation emails and Search subfolders of Inbox and Junk for activation emails. Then, click Activate Selected to begin the process.
3. Contact support
- Click the Virtru menu in Outlook
- Select Debug Log
- Select Send Debug Log to Virtru
Submitting your debug logs will not automatically open a support ticket. If you do submit logs, please note this in your ticket to Virtru Support.