Before you can send and receive secure emails with Virtru, you will need to install and activate the Virtru Outlook 365 Add-in (for Web, Desktop, Mobile). In this article, we'll show you how to install and activate the Virtru add-in. Step by step instructions can be found below.
The environment requirements can be found here: Environment requirements for Outlook 365 Add-in. In addition to the Virtru Outlook 365 Add-in, Virtru also offers a separate Outlook Desktop Extension (Desktop Only). If you are not sure which Virtru product is best for you, we recommend reviewing this article.
Important Note about Virtru for Outlook Desktop and Virtru for Outlook 365
The Virtru for Outlook Desktop Extension and the Virtru for Outlook 365 Add-in will conflict if both are installed in your Outlook desktop application. Please be sure only one is installed. Uninstall instructions can be found here.
1. Sign into your Microsoft Outlook account by going to https://outlook.office365.com/mail OR open Outlook on your Desktop
2. Click the New message button to compose an email
3. Click the more options button […] at the bottom of the compose email window
4. Click the Get Add-ins option
5. Select My add-ins
6. Scroll down on the My add-ins page and click on Add a custom add-in, then click Add from URL...
7. Paste the following URL link: https://cdn.virtru.com/outlookjs/manifest/VirtruForOutlook.xml. Click OK
8. Click Install
Your Add-Ins for Outlook section should look like this
1. Create a New message by clicking the New message button
2. Click the Virtru logo. If you do not see the Virtru logo, then click the three dots and click Virtru
3. Pin Virtru to your side panel and select the activation option which applies. If your email provider is Microsoft, you will see the option to activate via Office 365 or via Email. If you have a different email provider or your organization is using Single-Sign On, you will see slightly different options.
4. The next steps will differ slightly depending on the activation pathway you choose
- If you choose to Activate with Office365 (or other provider), a new window will open where Virtru uses your existing login with your identity provider to complete Virtru activation.
- If this is your first time activating, you will see a prompt to grant Virtru permission to access information from your identity provider. Accept to continue.
- If you choose to Activate with Email, you will receive an email from firstname.lastname@example.org in your inbox. If you are not receiving this after a few seconds, quickly check spam and move it to your Inbox, if necessary.
- Virtru will automatically pick up from there and complete the activation. However, if this is not happening, head over to the activation email and open it up. Once open, select the Virtru icon while viewing the email and click Activate via Email again.
Once activation is complete, the Virtru panel will update to display the Protection toggle and message options.
If you do not receive the activation email at all, please reach out to email@example.com. If you receive the activation email, but the activation does not complete successfully, review the Troubleshooting Section
We recommend editing your Outlook settings so Virtru is visible in the toolbar. This will make it easier for you to quickly create new encrypted emails as well as decrypt secure emails you receive.
1. Go to the Settings gear
2. Click on View all Outlook settings
3. Choose Customize actions
4. Enable Virtru in the Message surface (located in the Customize actions section) by clicking the check mark next to it.
5. Scroll down and enable Virtru in the "Toolbar" section (also located in the Customize actions section) by checking it there as well
6. Click Save
If you use the Activate with Email pathway and receive the email, yet the activation doesn't complete, review this troubleshooting guide and follow the steps to resolve: Virtru for Outlook 365 not activating successfully
Reach out to Virtru Support if you are not receiving an activation email at all, or if you have trouble activating through one of the other pathways. Provide as much detail as possible, including screenshots (if applicable) to firstname.lastname@example.org.