In addition to encrypting messages and attachments, Virtru users have the ability to apply additional security settings to protected content. Among these settings is the option to apply Disable Forwarding to an encrypted email.
Typically, if a Virtru plugin user receives an encrypted message, they can use Virtru to forward the email to a new party. This will add the new recipient as an authorized user and allow them to unlock the message. Disable Forwarding, however, ensures that your recipients can access the encrypted content but will stop any additional users from gaining access to the message. If the original recipient passes the email to a new party, then the new user will not be added as an authorized user and will not be able to unlock the message.
Watch this video for more details:
Manage Disable Forwarding in Virtru Email Clients
Disable Forwarding can be set before an email is sent
The following steps demonstrate how to apply the Disable Forwarding Security Option while composing an email:
1. Open a new draft and toggle Virtru ON.
2. If you are using Virtru for Gmail, iOS, or Android, open the Security Options/Settings menu. Security options in Outlook are always visible in the ribbon.
3. Select Disable Forwarding from the menu.
4. Compose the rest of your message and Send.
Disable Forwarding can also be managed after an email is sent
1. With Virtru enabled, open the sent secure message and expand the Security Options/Settings menu. In Outlook, these settings will already appear in the ribbon.
2. Select or deselect the Disable Forwarding option.
Manage Disable Forwarding in the Control Center
1. Log into the Virtru Control Center and head to the Email section.
2. Click on the email in question.
3. In the metadata menu that appears on the right, expand the Security Settings section.
4. Make any applicable changes and be sure to select SAVE CHANGES at the bottom of the window for these updates to take effect.
Applying Disable Forwarding after a message is sent will not revoke access from any new recipients who had already received a copy. Likewise, disabling the security setting will not grant access to anyone who received a forwarded copy while it was enabled.
When the intended recipient receives the message, they will be able to decrypt the message like any other email secured by Virtru.
If the recipient attempts to forward the message, it will appear to send as any other forwarded email.
However, when the secondary recipient receives the forwarded message, they will only have access to the most recent entry in the thread.
When attempting to Show last secure message, the new recipient will receive a prompt letting them know that "THIS EMAIL ADDRESS IS NOT AUTHORIZED TO VIEW THIS EMAIL".
In order for a new recipient to be added as an authorized user, the original sender must personally forward the secure message or disable the security setting. Check out Forwarding Emails with Virtru to learn more.