Installing & Activating Virtru for Gmail & G Suite in Chrome
Before you can send and receive Virtru emails in Chrome, you will need to install and activate the Virtru plugin for Chrome from the Chrome Web Store. This guide will show you how installation, activation, and reactivation of the Virtru plugin works.
- Visit our downloads page and click "Add to Chrome"
- You will be redirected to the Chrome Web Store, directly to the link for 'Virtru Email Protection for Gmail'. On this window, click "Add to Chrome"
- When prompted, click "Add extension"
- if you don't have Gmail open, we will let you know when your installation is complete.
- If you do have Gmail open in another tab, we'll automatically refresh the page for you to load the extension.
- Once Virtru is successfully installed and you log into Gmail, you will be prompted automatically to activate. Click on the "Activate" button to begin the activation process.
- When the activation is completed, the next prompt will let you know that you are ready to send secure emails from your email account using Virtru!
- To send your first (of many we hope!) secure email with Virtru, click on the "Compose" button in Gmail.
- In the compose window, you can toggle Virtru protection on by sliding the toggle to the right.
- The toggle will turn blue, indicating that the message you compose will be sent securely. A blue gear icon next to the toggle will allow you to add additional security options.
- For recipients who may be unfamiliar with Virtru protected emails, you can let them know easily and conveniently with an unencrypted personalized message that you are the sender, and that it is safe to proceed with unlocking!
- Once you have composed your message, simply hit "Secure Send", and your message will be delivered securely. You're all set! Congrats on sending your first Virtru secure email!
You may occasionally be required to reactivate your Virtru extension under the following circumstances:
- You've cleared your browser's cache.
- Your Virtru activation status has expired. For security purposes, Virtru will invalidate your activation status every
- 120 days for users accessing their own mailboxes.
- 10 days for users accessing shared or delegated mailboxes.
If you do need to reactivate, you can do so following the steps above or at the link below.
Reactivating the Virtru Extension