Occasionally, some users may experience an "Error Sending" or "Unknown Error" after hitting Send in Gmail. There are a few scenarios that may cause this error. If you've encountered the error below or an "Unknown Error", we recommend following the troubleshooting steps outlined below.
There are a few scenarios that can lead to Virtru causing an error upon your hitting Send. If you have experienced the error, please try and check the following items:
1) Refresh your Page and Ensure Virtru is Activated
If your Virtru AppID - your unique identifier associated with you and your Virtru extension - has expired or been invalidated, you won't be able to send or read a secure email. You may also encounter issues sending unencrypted emails.
To resolve the problem, you simply need to refresh your page and re-activate Virtru.
- First, refresh your page and attempt to send again.
- If that does not resolve the issue, you will need to try reactivating Virtru. For reactivation instructions, go to Installing and activating the Virtru email extension > Click on the Virtru product you are using > Go to the Reactivation section and follow the instructions.
2) Check Third-party Extensions
Occasionally, a third-party extension might get in the way of Virtru and cause errors. This is most likely to happen if you have another extension that adds extra functionality to the Gmail Compose window. This is because it is likely interfering with Virtru's ability to scan and protect the outgoing message.
To resolve the problem:
1. Go to chrome://extensions/ > temporarily disable any such extensions.
2. Go back to Gmail > Refresh your page > Attempt to send again.
Please Note: Virtru cannot guarantee compatibility with third-party extensions.
3) Check Firewall Settings
If you're running a firewall or other network security tool, it could be blocking Virtru's access and causing problems. This is most likely to happen with business emails.
To resolve the issue, you'll need to have your IT admin whitelist these URLs before you'll be able to send or decrypt secure email. Once your IT admin has confirmed the URLs are whitelisted, you can refresh your Gmail and try sending again.
4) Contact Support
1. The Console logs can be found in Chrome. Go to Menu > More Tools > Developer Tools and then select the Console tab.
2. Once you have the Console log open in the same Chrome tab > Navigate to https://gmail.com and try the action again.
3. Take a screenshot containing both the Chrome Console log and the error/behavior.
4. Open a ticket with our Customer Support team. Please be sure to include:
- The screenshots of the Chrome Console logs (Steps #1-3 above).
- A description of the steps you took to produce the error message.
- Be sure to note if you have already tried any of the troubleshooting steps mentioned in this article.