The Virtru Outlook 365 Add-in (for Web, Desktop, Mobile) enables end-users to encrypt and decrypt messages from within Microsoft Outlook, Outlook Web Access, and mobile, creating a seamless user experience. The extension not only handles the encryption of emails, but it can also handle the decryption of previously encrypted emails.
As the administrator of an organization, you can deploy the Virtru Outlook 365 Add-in to users in your organization by using the Centralized Deployment feature in the Microsoft 365 admin center.
In addition to the Virtru Outlook 365 Add-in, Virtru also offers a separate Outlook Desktop Extension (Desktop Only). If you are not sure which Virtru for Outlook product is best for your organization, we recommend reviewing this article.
The Virtru Outlook 365 Add-in is compatible with:
- Outlook 2016+ on Windows 10+ and Macs
- Outlook Web Access (OWA) on up-to-date versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge.
- The Virtru O365 add-in does not support Microsoft's "New Outlook" UI on Mac at this time
Please note the add-in does not currently support Virtru the following Virtru features:
- DLP rules
- Encrypted Search
For a more detailed breakdown of the differences between Virtru's Outlook products, we recommend this article: What is the difference between Virtru's Microsoft Add-in and Microsoft Extension?
Steps to Deploy
For more detailed information on deploying add-ins in Microsoft - including compatibility requirements and best practices - we recommend reviewing Microsoft's help article on how to Deploy add-ins in the admin center.
1. As an admin user, navigate to your organization's Microsoft admin center and go to the Settings section > then to the Add-ins page.
2. Select Deploy add-in at the top of the page > then select Next
3. On the next page, click the Upload custom apps button
4. Choose the I have a URL for the manifest file option, and copy and paste this link into the field: https://cdn.virtru.com/outlookjs/manifest/VirtruForOutlook.xml
5. Finally, choose which users you want to deploy the plugin to and select your deployment method. Then click Deploy to complete the process.