If you have synced your Google Workspace (formerly G Suite) with Virtru but have not purchased licenses for all users in your domain, you will need to create a provisioning group for licensing compliance. This will ensure that only intended users in your org consume a license.
This article covers provisioning groups for Google Drive. If you need to configure a provisioning group for the Virtru Gmail Extension, please go to the Virtru for Gmail Licensing (Provisioning Group) article.
Creating and Maintaining the Provisioning Group
The Virtru for Drive provisioning group is created and maintained within your Google Admin console (https://admin.google.com/). To create the group:
- Head to the Groups section and click Create Group.
- The group address should be named "virtru-drive-provisioning-group@[yourdomain.com]".
- Once the group is created, add only the users you wish to provision. If you nest another group address within the Virtru for Drive provisioning group, all members of that second group will become provisioned.
- Once your user list is set, head to the Overview page of the Virtru Control Center and click Refresh Now to refresh your sync with Virtru and implement the provisioning.
Please note: If you make any future changes to the provisioning group in Google Workspace, you will need to refresh the sync again to pull in those changes.
Finding Provisioned Users
Inside of the Virtru Control Center, you have the ability to filter your users by members of your Virtru provisioning group. In order to see the users that you have assigned licenses to, you may perform the following steps below:
- Sign in to the Virtru Control Center
- Go to the Users & Groups tab > Select Users
- In the search bar select All Users in Groups and type in virtru-drive-provisioning-group@[yourdomain.com]
- Click the magnifying glass to submit the search
- This will list the users inside of your organization's Virtru provisioning group
Provisioned User Experience
Members of the Virtru for Drive provisioning group will have full access to the Virtru for Drive plugin and the ability to create and maintain newly encrypted files.
Non-Provisioned User Experience
Members of your Google Workspace that have not been added to your provisioning group will see limited functionality when using the Virtru for Drive plugin.
Although non-provisioned users will be able to read encrypted content in the Virtru Secure Reader, they will not be able to upload encrypted files, encrypt existing files, or decrypt files within Drive.
When uploading content to Drive, they will not be able to select Encrypt & upload:
If they attempt to add content to a Secure Folder, their access will be restricted:
If your organization has implemented a mandatory encryption policy, these users will not be able to add any content to Drive: