One of Virtru’s features allows the sender to disable forwarding to recipients other than the ones authorized by him/her. Often, a sender might need to send sensitive or personal information, such as his/her social security number or credit card details, and wish to restrict it from other recipients. The “Disable Forwarding” option allows the sender to do this preemptively. If you received a forwarded message which you are unauthorized to view, you will need to contact the sender directly, and he/she can then choose to add you as an authorized recipient.
Watch this video for more detailed instructions:
The following steps demonstrate how to disable forwarding and who is authorized to read the original message:
- When the sender composes a message, he/she can choose to disable forwarding to unintended recipients by selecting “Virtru Options” (the downward-facing arrow icon) on the right-hand side of the Virtru protection bar.
- After clicking “Virtru Options”, the sender must then select “Disable Forwarding”.
Once the option is selected, it will appear in color along with a check mark in the accompanying bubble.
- When the intended recipient receives the message, he/she will be able to view it as any other email secured by Virtru.
- If the recipient attempts to forward the message, it will appear to send as any other forwarded email.
- However, when the secondary recipient receives the forwarded message, he/she will only receive the message from the last sender.
If he/she attempts to view the forwarded portion by clicking “Show last secure message,” a block will appear which states, “This email address is not authorized to view this email.”
- Only the original sender can authorize a new recipient by personally adding recipients to the email chain.
- When the newly authorized recipient is added to the email chain, he/she can now select “Show last secure message,” and view the email.
How to Add or Change Disable Forwarding Settings From Your Virtru Dashboard
See when and where people share your content, and prevent forwarding at any time, from your Virtru Dashboard. Here’s how:
1. Start by going to your Virtru Dashboard.
2. From the All Emails tab, select the secure email you’d like to update or add protection settings to.
3. Once selected, a side bar will expand on the right, displaying the current protection settings. Add/disable/update the settings as you see fit. When you’re done, be sure to “Save Changes” for these updates to take effect.
And that’s it! You’re all set.