Virtru Secure Share includes functionality that lets you add restrictions to what files users can upload. With this feature, you can restrict the number of files and the types of files your users can share or receive via Secure Share.
Restrict File Types:
Once enabled, only allowed file types can be uploaded. Users will be unable to upload any other file types when selecting files. They will also see a message in the user interface indicating what file types are allowed.
For example, if you only allow .pdf and .doc files, a user would be unable to upload a .html or .xls file.
Restrict the Number of Files:
Once enabled, you can restrict the number of files a user can upload and share at one time. Users will be unable to exceed this limit in a single share. They will also see a message in the user interface indicating what the maximum number of files is.
For example, if you only allow 5 files to be uploaded, a user will not be able to upload and share more than 5 files at once (regardless of type).
How to enable Secure share Restrictions
Right now, this feature has to be enabled and configured by Virtru. Only current Secure Share customers are eligible for this feature. To have it enabled:
1. Open a ticket with Virtru Customer Support and request "Restricted File Types" and/or "Restrict Number of Files" be enabled.
2. In your request, please include the following:
- File Types:
- What file types you want to ALLOW. All other file types will be restricted/unavailable.
- Whether you want this restriction to apply to inbound, outbound, or both. Virtru can support separate allow lists for Inbound (external users sharing files with you via your link) and outbound (you sending files to other users).
- Number of Files:
- How many files you want a user to be able to upload and share at one time.
3. Virtru will then configure this per your request. This process can take a few business days. Virtru will confirm once the configuration is complete.
There are several limitations around this functionality to be aware of:
- The restrictions are configured independently of one another, so you can choose if you want to restrict file types, the number of files, or both.
- This feature will disable the ability to drag and drop files in Secure Share. Users will have to click "upload" and then select the desired files. All unsupported file types will be greyed out/unavailable.
- At this time, Secure Share restrictions can not be specified to specific users and groups.
- You will need to open a new Virtru Support ticket if you want any changes made to allowed file types