Virtru Secure Share includes functionality that lets you restrict the types of files your users can share or receive via Secure Share. Once enabled, users will see text in the interface letting them know which file types are allowed. Only allowed file types can be uploaded. Users will be unable to upload any other file types.
For example, if you only allow .pdf and .doc files, a user would be unable to upload a .html or .xls file.
How to enable Restricted File Types
Right now, this feature has to be enabled and configured by Virtru. Only current Secure Share customers are eligible for this feature. To have it enabled:
1. Open a ticket with Virtru Customer Support and request Restricted File Types be enabled.
2. In your request, please include the following:
- What file types you want to ALLOW. All other file types will be restricted/unavailable.
- Whether you want this restriction to apply to inbound, outbound, or both. Virtru can support separate allow lists for Inbound (external users sharing files with you via your link) and outbound (you sending files to other users).
3. Virtru will then configure this per your request. This process can take a few business days. Virtru will confirm once the configuration is complete.
There are several limitations around this functionality to be aware of:
- This feature will disable the ability to drag and drop files in Secure Share. Users will have to click "upload" and then select the desired files. All unsupported file types will be greyed out/unavailable.
- At this time, file restrictions can not be specified to specific users and groups.
- You will need to open a new Virtru Support ticket if you want any changes made to allowed file types