Before you can send and receive Virtru emails from Outlook, you'll need to install our Outlook add-in.
- Visit our downloads page on a PC. Click on "download" on the Outlook tile to install the Virtru for Outlook add-in. (If you are not on a Windows machine, you will be prompted to visit the page on a Windows device)
- Click "Run" to give permission to run the installer VirtruForOutlookInstaller.msi.
- Outlook must be closed to complete installation. The installation will run and launch Outlook automatically when complete. If Outlook does not launch automatically in a few seconds, manually open it to prompt the next step.
Windows Outlook desktop application only
Please note that this this guide specifically shows how to install and activate Virtru for Outlook on Windows (For Versions 2010, 2013, 2016, 2019). The installer is not compatible with Outlook for Mac or other Windows Mail applications.
- Once Outlook opens, you will be prompted to activate your Virtru add-in. Click Activate to begin. You may choose "Later" if you do not wish to activate at this time. Check "Don't show me again" before you click Activate or Later to prevent the modal from re-appearing to prompt activation of un-activated account(s) whenever you start Outlook.
- Choose the email account(s) you'd like to activate for use with Virtru, and click Continue. You may choose to activate only one or multiple email accounts you have set up in Outlook
- During the activation process, we'll send an email to your email address. The Virtru add-in will search for this email in your inbox. It will be from firstname.lastname@example.org.
- When the email is found, Virtru will automatically delete the email and complete activation. Click "Take a tour" for a brief walkthrough of your new Virtru features.
Take a Tour of the Virtru Outlook Add-in Features
- If your activation does not complete in a few minutes, please see the troubleshooting information here.
Activating specific email accounts or multiple email accounts
You may wish to activate only certain ones or activate some accounts later on after initially activating one account with Virtru, and this is possible with the steps provided below.
1. Select the Virtru tab from the top bar of the main Outlook window.
2. Choose Options
3. Go to the Account Activation tab and select the specific email accounts you would like to activate, then click on "Activate Selected".
Unintentional email account activation
If you unintentionally activate an email account that was not added to your organization's Virtru team by a Virtru admin, an additional charge will not be assessed on your invoice. Any activated email address not already associated with a Virtru team will be assigned a Virtru for Personal Privacy license.
You will occasionally be required to reactivate your Virtru extension due to the following:
- You've cleared your registry
- Your Virtru activation status has expired. For security purposes, Virtru will invalidate your activation status every
- 120 days for users accessing their own mailboxes.
- 10 days for users accessing shared or delegated mailboxes.
If you do need to reactivate, you can do so following the steps outlined in the Activation section above, or the reactivation steps below.
- Click on the Virtru tab at the top of your outlook window and select "Debug log"
- Click on the "Debug Commands" tab and select the "reset registry" option
- Click "Yes" and then "Ok" to confirm the changes
- Click on "Authorize Accounts" in the Virtru tab to manually follow the authorization steps again (see Activation above)