Before you can send and receive Virtru emails from Outlook desktop, you'll need to install our Outlook add-in. This guide will cover manual installation, activation, and reactivation of the Virtru add-in. This article includes both a helpful video tutorial below and detailed step-by-step instructions following that.
1. Visit our downloads page on a Windows machine.
2. In the Outlook tile, click Download to download the Virtru installation file. (If you are not on a Windows machine, you will be prompted to visit the page on a Windows device).
3. Click Run to give permission to run the installer VirtruForOutlookInstaller.msi.
Ensure Outlook is closed to complete installation. The installation will run and launch Outlook automatically when complete. If Outlook does not launch automatically in a few seconds, manually open it to prompt the next step.
Windows Outlook desktop application only
Please note that this guide specifically shows how to install and activate Virtru for Outlook on Windows (For Versions 2010, 2013, 2016, 2019). The installer is not compatible with Outlook for Mac or other Windows Mail applications.
1. Once Outlook opens, you will be prompted to activate your Virtru add-in. Click Activate to begin. You may choose Later if you do not wish to activate at this time. Check Don't show me again before you click Activate or Later to prevent the modal from re-appearing to prompt activation of un-activated account(s) whenever you start Outlook.
2. Choose the email account(s) you'd like to activate for use with Virtru and click Continue. You may choose to activate only one or multiple email accounts you have set up in Outlook.
3. After selecting the email address(es) you desire to activate, if you are on Virtru for Outlook version 3.10.0 or above, you will have the choice of signing in with your provider or choosing to receive an activation email.
4A. If you choose to Sign in with [email provider] you will be prompted to enter your username and password for authentication.
4B. If you choose the option to Send me an activation email or are using an older version below 3.10.0 (which automatically uses an activation email), the process will take a few moments to complete in the background. During this process, we send a unique email to your mailbox. The Virtru add-in will search for this email in your inbox. It will be from firstname.lastname@example.org.
5. When credentials are accepted or the email is found, Virtru will automatically delete the activation email, when applicable, and the add-in will complete activation. Click Take a tour for a brief walkthrough of your new Virtru features.
If your activation does not automatically complete in a few minutes, please check out our troubleshooting page.
Activating from the Virtru Menu
If you have disabled automatic activations, you can still activate inactive accounts at any time. :
1. Select the Virtru tab from the top bar of the main Outlook window.
2. Choose Authorize Accounts or Options.
3. If you select Options, go to the Account Activation tab, select the specific email accounts you would like to activate, and click on Activate Selected.
4. You will then follow the activation process illustrated above.
Unintentional email account activation
If you unintentionally activate an email account in Outlook that was not added to your organization's Virtru team by a Virtru admin, an additional charge will not be assessed on your invoice. Any activated email address not already associated with a Virtru team will be using Virtru for Personal Privacy.
You will occasionally be required to reactivate your Virtru add-in due to the following:
- You've cleared your registry
- Your Virtru activation status has expired. For security purposes, Virtru will invalidate your activation status every
- 120 days for users accessing their own mailboxes
- 10 days for users accessing shared or delegated mailboxes
- You are using Virtru on a new machine
If you do need to reactivate, you will be automatically prompted or can do so in the Virtru Menu.
If you wish to fully deactivate all accounts in Outlook, you can do so from the Virtru menu:
1. Click on the Virtru tab at the top of your outlook window and select Debug log.
2. Click on the Debug Commands option and select the Reset Activations (clears registry only) option.
3. Click Yes and then Ok to confirm the changes.
From the Virtru tab, you can then reauthorize by clicking on Authorize Accounts.