Before you can send and receive secure emails with Virtru in Chrome, you will need to install and activate the Virtru plugin, which can be found in the Chrome Web Store. This guide will cover manual installation, activation, and reactivation of the Virtru plugin.
- Navigate to Virtru Email Protection for Gmail in the Chrome Web Store.
- Select Add to Chrome
- When prompted, click Add extension
- Once installation is complete, users will receive a brief confirmation and be directed to a Virtru welcome page.
If Gmail is open in another tab, we'll automatically refresh the page for you so that the extension loads.
- Once Virtru is successfully installed, you will automatically be prompted to activate upon opening Gmail. Select Activate button to begin the activation process.
- Upon successful activation, you will receive a confirmation prompt. Click Done to begin sending secure messages!
- If you are new to Virtru, you will receive a brief tour showing you how to send your first secure message. Click Compose to continue.
- In the Compose window, you can toggle Virtru protection on by selecting the toggle in the top right corner.
- The toggle will turn blue, indicating that the message you compose will be sent securely.
A blue gear icon next to the toggle will allow you to add additional security options.
For recipients who may be unfamiliar with Virtru protected emails, you can let them know easily and conveniently with an unencrypted personalized message that you are the sender, and that it is safe to proceed with unlocking!
- Once you are ready, simply hit Secure Send and your message will be delivered securely. You're all set! Congrats on sending your first Virtru secure email!
You will occasionally be required to reactivate your Virtru extension under the following circumstances:
- You've cleared your browser's cache.
- You've reinstalled the Virtru plugin
- Your Virtru activation status has expired. For security purposes, Virtru will invalidate your activation status every
- 120 days for users accessing their own mailboxes.
- 10 days for users accessing shared or delegated mailboxes.
If your App ID is no longer valid, you can reactivate the Virtru extension by simply following one of the two procedures below:
Reactivating the Virtru Extension via the Compose Window
- In Gmail, click Compose
- Where you normally see the Virtru toggle, click Activate Virtru
Reactivating the Virtru Extension via the Virtru Menu Icon
- While in Gmail, locate and click the Virtru extension icon on Chrome's menu bar (top-right corner)
- Click Activate Virtru for [your address] to reactivate your extension